Design, Installation and Maintenance
What information are needed in preparation for rooftop solar installation?
- Minimum 3 months of premise utility bill
- Building rooftop & elevation drawings
- Building single line diagram (SLD)
How do I know if my building and rooftop condition is suitable to install solar?
PvFoundry will conduct site visit to verify if the premise rooftop condition. If the rooftop is deemed unfit for solar installation, we will provide recommendation how to proceed. If the premise rooftop is already out of warranty or due for maintenance in the near term, it would be in premise owner best interest to complete the repair or install the new roof before solar installation. Otherwise, it would be costly to remove the panels to repair the roof and then restore the solar panels.
Can my rooftop withhold the weight of the solar panels?
A typical solar panel roughly weighs about 28kg. Including mounting structures, the total weight of solar system on roof will be approximately 13 – 15kg per meter square. Building roof mechanical load structure is often designed to withhold few times the required weight. PvFoundry will conduct building structural analysis and get qualified professional engineer to endorse before proceed with solar installation.
Would my solar system fully comply and meet local regulation requirements?
PvFoundry as the solar system developer will engage Electrical qualified person to endorse the single line diagram (SLD), Civil Structure qualified person to endorse the mechanical load and installation structure, conduct require applications & lodgement to respective authorities as part of the solar system design and installation full turnkey services.
What equipment brand and model will be used?
PvFoundry will use either self-proprietary solar panels or other industry Tier One equivalent brand to optimize client solar system design. We will select appropriate hardware for system optimization, and to ensure our clients have access to the industry’s most competitive product technology at the best value and quality.
Is battery storage included in my package?
Battery may not be relevant to your premise project scenario. Battery storage is usually applicable in off-grid scenario where client does not have accessibility to city grid. PvFoundry will judge if battery is necessary and will recommend it as an option to the full turnkey customised solutions when necessary. Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) is a tailored solution and is not usually included in our basic package.
How long will the solar system warranty last?
- A typical solar panel warranty is 25 years. Solar panels will continue working at an average of 80% efficiency of their Day 1 rated label power at the end of 25th year after considered annual degradation effect.
- A typical solar inverter which converts DC to AC carries 5~10 years product warranty.
- Other system components eg. mounting structure, clamps, cables, etc. are considered durable parts.
What kind of maintenance is needed post installation?
Solar system generally requires very little maintenance in order to continue function. Client can engage PvFoundry or third-party qualified person to handle the routine maintenance. A typical maintenance contract scope of coverage as follows:
- Electrical Testing and Visual Inspection every 6~12 months
- Cleaning of PV modules & inverters every 6~12 months
- Labour for replacement of faulty parts under product warranty coverage
- Ad-hoc Electrical Engineer (Qualified Person) attendance for fault and emergency, and electrical system annual check & testing report
Do I still need power from the grid after solar system installation?
Yes, you will need power from the grid if your consumption load is higher than the amount of solar energy generated. For example, you will need power from your grid when your rooftop solar system is not generating power at night.
How do I coordinate the amount of shortage / excess power with the grid after installing rooftop solar
- Shortage of power - The switchover to grid is seamless and does not require manual intervention. When the solar energy generated is insufficient to supply your load, power will be drawn from the grid to supplement it.
- Excess of power - Any excess energy will be exported to the grid as credit. *Please refer to your solar developer to handle these technical aspects
Investment and Asset Ownership
What’s the choice of investment model available for solar installation?
- Self-investment - Premise owner spend initial capital expenses and future maintenance. Able to enjoy various tax incentives. eg. Capital Allowance (CA), Investment Tax Allowance (ITA).
- Third party investment - Premise owner sign long term Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with project developer at discounted tariff rate ($/kWh) to lock down future energy price at a lower price. Third party investor will bear all capex and opex involved.
What is Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)?
A Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) is a long term pre-subscription contract which Premise owner signs with PvFoundry for agreeing to priority consume the solar energy generated at pre-determined tariff rate ($/kWh) for a period of 20 – 25 years (or shorter based on the remaining lease available). Contract terms can be customizable to suit different business scenarios and objectives. Investor will invoice premise owner every month based on the actual energy consumed.
Who owns the rooftop solar system asset under PPA model?
PvFoundry as investor will spend all initial capital expenditure (capex) and future maintenance & operation expenditure (opex). PvFoundry as investor and developer owns, operates and maintains the rooftop solar system.
How much is the PPA solar tariff ($/kWh)?
PPA tariff will be discussed between premise owner and PvFoundry. The goal is to offer a discounted tariff lower than existing building utility tariff rate so that client . Several factors which will affect PPA rate including project capacity installation scale (kWp), contract tenor (years), forex risk, interest rate, and if there’s additional items need to be invested eg. cat-ladder, lifelines, etc.
Would I achieve Net Zero Carbon emission status after solar installation?
It depends on the total roof space availability to install solar panels, compared to the premise total energy consumption. PvFoundry will support client to maximize solar capacity installation using self-proprietary solar panel technologies, eg. GMD / BIPV / FLEX, Optimizer to reduce shading impact, special mounting structure design, etc. PvFoundry will also provide value-added services to support client quantify their total carbon footprint (certified by accredited global quality standard) and to acquire sufficient Renewable Energy Certificates (REC options) to 100% neutralize client carbon footprint to achieve Net Zero Emission status.
What if the rooftop solar system fails to produce solar energy as forecast?
PvFoundry will guarantee a minimum level of solar energy generation per year written in PPA contract according to the premise rooftop solar system size and design. Client will be compensated if the system fails to deliver the guaranteed minimum level output.
What happens if I leave or relocate out from my current premise before PPA contract maturity?
The preferred option is to novate the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) to the next premise owner or occupant as it is. Alternatively, client can exercise contract termination clause to end the contract as pre-determined in the terms and conditions